(Instigator News) – As of Thursday evening, press accounts reflected that Islamic State (ISIS) fighters had seized most of the town of al-Baghdadi in western Iraq. This was reported to be near the Ain al-Asad air base in the western province of Anbar, where 400 U.S. military personnel, including a contingent of Marines, were stationed, where they were said to have been involved in the training of Iraqi forces.
This is in conflict with information obtained by Instigator News Network within the last 48 hours from intelligence and military sources on the ground in the area, indicating that the base itself had come under attack Thursday evening.
One intelligence source told INN that unless President Obama were to send reinforcements, the situation could become “a real disaster. Aircraft can’t fly because of shoulder fired missiles in the area that already downed one aircraft.”
INN was also informed that the Marine contingent at the base has taken casualties.
Although a Defense Department spokeswoman confirmed to Fox News on Thursday that “heavy fighting” had taken place in that area, reports concerning the besieged Marines were not forthcoming until late Friday.
Other than the marked lag in the Obama administration, the Pentagon, and the establishment press reporting the siege (which was widely confirmed through trusted sources, as well as with parties in contact with U.S. military personnel on the ground in Iraq), the conflict lies in that Defense officials now claim that the attack occurred “about 3 kilometers from where U.S. forces are. We sent drones and Apaches [attack helicopters], but it was all over before they arrived and neither fired a shot.”
Yet, Army Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman, said that initial reports Friday showed that all of the Islamic State fighters were killed at or inside a gate to the sprawling, 25-square-mile base.
The latter is more in keeping with accounts that were related, both from intelligence and official military sources present at the time, and from unofficial accounts that were relayed from family and concerned parties in contact with U.S. personnel stationed in the area. These contend that the Ain al-Asad base had been attacked on Thursday, not Friday morning, and that the combat was far more fierce and prolonged than is now being reported by the Obama administration.
No word on any U.S. casualties has been confirmed by official sources.